I chose the featured image for two reasons…to show the amazing time T-Rex and I are having and explain/segway to the latest posting delay…T-Rex will be leaving the trail for a bit to recover from shin splints.
Let’s start with the update…leaving Big Bear started us on a fantastic 4 day section of hiking. Neither too strenuous or too easy, the weather was great and scenery fantastic.
We climbed down from the Big Bear area on day two and headed towards the Deep Creek Hot Springs, but the weather stayed pleasant. I felt fantastic, but T-Rex was having some foot pain.
After receiving a pot to soak in from our friend Half-Slow, she started the felling better the following morning as we continued onto Cajon Pass.
After camping by the lake, we flew into town through the most windy area yet, Cajon Pass.
T-Rex started with Shin issues on Thursday and we had already planned on staying two nights due to weather. We headed back out Saturday morning with blue sys and high hopes, but 6 miles in it became clear the Shin Splints could not be ignored.
T-Rex and I turned around and she hobbled back to the hotel. We have tried giving this a couple of nights, but it has become clear that this injury will need more time. Toughness she has in abundance, but she has to be smart before making this worse and ending her hike. Therefore she is heading back to San Diego for 1-2 weeks to get healed up and I will continue on through the mountains and into the Mojave. I will also be creating posts more often to hopefully give better updates on our progress. Today I will summit Mt Baden Powell and continue through mountains for about 30 more miles before heading down. I’ll update on T-Rex’s status ASAP, until then, please enjoy another obligatory snake photo:
These things happen, we’ll be back to full strength soon…updates coming by mile 454 in Agua Dulce.